Friday, November 7, 2014

Trinidad and Tobago: Deportation Plan - NYTimes.com

The government of Trinidad and Tobago says it plans to crack down on the estimated 110,000 migrants living on the islands illegally. The migrants have until January to get their documents in order before the authorities begin a deportation campaign that would include door-to-door visits, National Security Minister Gary Griffith said in remarks published Thursday. Mr. Griffith said the steps were meant to help reduce crime, adding that “over 10 percent of the adult population in this country are persons here illegally.” Mr. Griffith has previously said that the largest share of migrants, nearly 26,000, come from Guyana, followed by nearly 20,000 from Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment